Sites in Iran

Meidan Emam, Esfahan

Meidan EmamDate of Inscription: 1979
Esfahan
N32 39 26.82 E51 40 40.00

The square is surrounded by buildings from the Safavid era. The Shah Mosque is situated on the south side of this square. On the west side you can find Ali Qapu Palace. Sheikh Lotf Allah Mosque is situated on the eastern side of this square and the northern side opens into the Isfahan Grand Bazaar. Today, Namaaz-e Jom'eh (the Muslim Friday prayer) is held in this square in front of the Shah Mosque. The square is depicted on the reverse of the Iranian 20,000 rials banknote.

Persepolis

PersepolisDate of Inscription: 1979
Fars
N29 56 04 E52 53 25

Persepolis was the ceremonial capital of the Persian Empire during the Achaemenid dynasty. Persepolis is situated 70 km northeast of the modern city of Shiraz in the Fars Province of modern Iran. In contemporary Persian, the site is known as Takht-e Jamshid (Throne of Jamshid) and Parseh. The earliest remains of Persepolis date from around 515 BC. To the ancient Persians, the city was known as Pārsa, which means "The City of Persians". Persepolis is the Greek interpretation of the name Πέρσης πόλις (Persēs polis: "Persian city").

Tchogha Zanbil

Tchogha ZanbilDate of Inscription: 1979
Khuzestan
N32 01 E48 32

Tchogha Zanbil was built about 1250 BC by the king Untash-Napirisha, mainly to honor the great god Inshushinak. Its original name was Dur Untash, which means 'town of Untash', but it is unlikely that many people, besides priests and servants, ever lived there. The complex is protected by three concentric walls which define the main areas of the 'town'. The inner area is wholly taken up with a great ziggurat dedicated to the main god, which was built over an earlier square temple with storage rooms also built by Untash-Napirisha. The middle area holds eleven temples for lesser gods. It is believed that twenty-two temples were originally planned, but the king died before they could be finished, and his successors discontinued the building work. In the outer area are royal palaces and a funerary palace containing five subterranean royal tombs.

Takht-e Soleyman

Takht-e SoleymanDate of Inscription: 2003
Property : 10.0000 ha
Buffer zone: 7438.0000 ha
Western Azerbaijan Province
N36 36 14.0 E47 14 06.0

Takht-e Soleyman is an archaeological site in West Azarbaijan. The originally fortified site, which is located on a crater rim, was recognized as a World Heritage Site in July 2003. The citadel includes the remains of a Zoroastrian fire temple built during the Sassanid period and partially rebuilt during the Ilkhanid period. This temple housed one the three "Great Fires" or "Royal Fires" that Sassanid rulers humbled themselves before in order to ascend the throne. The fire at Takht-i Soleiman was called Adur Wishnasp and was dedicated to the arteshtar or warrior class of the Sasanid.

Bam and its Cultural Landscape

BamDate of Inscription: 2004
Minor modification inscribed year: 2007
Kerman Province, Bam District
N29 07 00.6 E58 22 06.5

This enormous citadel on the Silk Road was built before 500 BC and remained in use until 1850 AD. It is not known for certain why it was then abandoned. The entire building was a large fortress in whose heart the citadel itself was located, but because of the impressive look of the citadel, which forms the highest point, the entire fortress is named the Bam Citadel. On December 26, 2003, the Citadel was almost completely destroyed by an earthquake, along with much of the rest of Bam and its environs. A few days after the earthquake, the then Iranian President Mohammad Khatami announced that the Citadel would be rebuilt.

Pasargadae

PasargadaeDate of Inscription: 2004
Property : 159.6500 ha
Buffer zone: 7126.9702 ha
Pars Province
N30 11 37.8 E53 10 02.3

Pasargadea, The first capital of the Achaemenid Empire, lies in ruins 43 kilometers from Persepolis, in present-day Fars province of Iran. The construction of the capital city by Cyrus the Great, begun in 546 BCE or later, was left unfinished, for Cyrus died in battle in 530 BCE or 529 BCE. The tomb of Cyrus' son and successor, Cambyses II, also has been found in Pasargadae. The remains of his tomb, located near the fortress of Toll-e Takht, were identified in 2006.

Soltaniyeh

SoltaniyehDate of Inscription: 2005
Zanjan province
N36 26 07.0 E48 47 48.0

Soltaniyeh used to be the capital of Ilkhanid rulers of Persia in the 14th century. Its name translates as "the Imperial". The central magnet of Soltaniyeh's several ruins is the Mausoleum of Il-khan Öljeitü also known as Muhammad Khodabandeh, traditionally known as the Dome of Soltaniyeh. The structure, erected from 1302 to 1312 AD, has the oldest double-shell dome in the world. Its importance in the Muslim world may be compared to that of Brunelleschi's cupola for Christian architecture. The Dome of Soltaniyeh paved the way for more daring Iranian-style cupola constructions in Muslim world, such as the Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasavi and Taj Mahal. Much of exterior decoration has been lost, but the interior retains superb mosaics, faience, and murals. People have described the architecture of the building as “anticipating the Taj Mahal.” The estimated 200 ton dome stands 49 meters tall from its base, and is currently undergoing extensive renovation.

Bisotun

BisotunDate of Inscription: 2006
Property : 187.0000 ha
Buffer zone: 361.0000 ha
Province of Kermanshah
N34 23 18 E47 26 12

The Bisotun Inscription meaning "the god's place or land" is a multi-lingual inscription located on Mount Bisotun in the Kermanshah Province of Iran, near the city of Kermanshah in western Iran. The inscription includes three versions of the same text, written in three different cuneiform script languages: Old Persian, Elamite, and Babylonian. Babylonian was a later form of Akkadian: unlike Old Persian, they are Semitic languages. In effect, then, the inscription is to cuneiform what the Rosetta Stone is to Egyptian hieroglyphs: the document most crucial in the decipherment of a previously lost script. The inscription is approximately 15 metres high by 25 metres wide, and 100 metres up a limestone cliff from an ancient road connecting the capitals of Babylonia and Media. It is extremely inaccessible as the mountainside was removed to make the inscription more visible after its completion

Armenian Monastic Ensembles of Iran

Armenian Monastic EnsemblesDate of Inscription: 2008
Property : 129.2819 ha
Buffer zone: 655.0122 ha
N38 58 44 E45 28 24

In th