Royal Chitwan National Park

Royal ChitwanDate of Inscription: 1984
Property : 93200.0000 ha
Chitwan District of the Narayani Zone
N27 30 E84 20

Chitwan National Park is rich in flora and fauna, including one of the last populations of single-horned Indian Rhinoceros and the Bengal tiger. The area was known as "Four Mile Forest" and a hunting reserve for big game hunting until 1951. The park is now a popular destination for ecotourists and includes canoeing, elephant rides, and guided jungle walks. Adjacent to the National Park in the east is the Parsa Wildlife Reserve (49.900 ha) and further east the Bara Hunting Reserve (25.900 ha). In the south the Chitwan is contiguous with the Indian Valmiki Tiger Reserve. The vegetation consits mainly of moist deciduous forests, with the sal as dominating tree species. In the Churia Hills pine trees predominate. On the floodplains of the large Rivers, by name the Rapti, the Reu and the Narayani there are large areas covered with Elephant grass alternating with riverine Forests mainly composed of Simal, Khair and Sisau trees.The Chitwan National Park is home to at least 43 species of mammals, 450 species of birds, and 45 species of amphibians and reptiles. Elephants and Indian rhinos are the largest species found in the park, but a lot of other large herbivores are found in the park.